The Point of the Mountain can safely be flown nearly all year. To fly there please pay your club dues and sign the waivers, then use the links below to help you decide on suitable flying conditions for your skill level. If you see virga or mammatus clouds in the valley, you should not fly.
Get the Big Picture
First, check what the seven day forecast for Draper and Lehi says, Weather Spark is a great tools for that.
See what the really smart meteorologist are saying about the weather.
What is happening Right Now
The Salt Lake and Utah County Valleys are big wind tunnels. The valley squeezes the air past the point causing it to speed up (a venturi), so winds to the far north or south will show lighter. If you look what is down stream you can use that to predict the future wind pattern for the day.
See what the wind is doing in the entire valley.
See what the wind is two hours out from the North Side of the Point.
See what the wind is one hour out from the North Side of the Point.
See what the wind is doing right now.
- If you at there, look at the wind socks
- If you are not there, check the webcams
- Flight Park North Weather Station (experimental)
- Flight Park South Weather Station (also a good site to use in evaluating North Side conditions)
- Bluffdale Weather station
- Please notice there is not advice on what wind speeds are appropriate. This is best decided between yourself and an instructor.
- High pressure days and inversions tend to produce cross easterly winds on the North Side.
- You should never fly if you see virga or mammatus clouds in the valley. Virga and mammatus clouds produce dangerous gust fronts.
- The North Side is usually flown in the evening, early in the day produces stronger more demanding flying conditions.
- The South Side is usually flown in the morning, later in the day produces stronger more demanding flying conditions.
- If ever in doubt of the flying conditions please consult with an instructor, they are there to help you fly safely.
- If there are other pilots there, but are not flying, maybe you might not want to either. Check with a few and see why they are not flying.